The Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation, founded by the Royal Academy of engineering in 2014, is Africa’s biggest prize dedicated to developing African innovators, and assisting them to maximize their impact. It awards crucial commercialization support to ambitious African innovators developing scalable engineering solutions to address local challenges, demonstrating the importance of engineering as an enabler of improved quality of life and economic development.
The Africa Prize is now looking for the next 16 promising innovators with engineering technologies to improve lives. Do you have what it takes?
- The grand winner of the Africa Prize will receive £25,000 and three runners-up each will be awarded £10,000.
- Upto 16 of the shortlisted applicants will receive support for a period of eight months. This is aimed at helping them accelerate their businesses, including comprehensive and tailored business training, sector specific engineering mentoring, communications support, pitching opportunities and access to the Academy’s network of high profile, experienced engineers and business experts in the UK and across Africa.
Since 2014, the program has supported more than 130 entrepreneurs across 20 African countries with a rigorous business training program and lifelong support through the Africa Prize alumni network. More than 70% of the alumni’s engineering and technology businesses now generate revenue. Between them the Africa Prize alumni have raised more than USD 14 million in grants and equity funding and created more than 3,600 jobs, almost half of them for women.
✔️Requirements for program participation
- African entrepreneurs from all engineering disciplines, and with an innovation that can provide scalable solutions to local challenges.
- Individuals or small teams living and working in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Innovations should have a social, economic or environmental benefit, and should be at an early stage of development with potential for upscaling and commercialization.
- Entrepreneurs with hardware and software innovations as well as innovative processes and systems can apply
- Application deadline : 25 July 2023